We all do it. We all have pondered what it would be like to win the lotto. To have the perfect house. Spouse. Children. Complexion.
But has it ever helped? If so you’ve read one too many Cosmo magazines. (Though one is too many imo) and think that wishful thinking is a synoman for goal planning.
Oh sure…plan for a vacation, paying off debt, reading His word more. But when we live in a constant state of turmoil of what should’ve been…
Maybe it’s time to take a look at our expectations verses reality.
For myself having lost our son, and a prodigal daughter…let me tell ya...my life is not what I pictured.
I saved their toys for their children in a special box. That now holds packing material for eBay and etsy sales.
I thought my out-stretched arms would be filled with grandchildren I visited.
Not to say I don’t live with hope that there’s more to our story…but my life isn’t what I expected at this point.
So how do we cope with those change of plans?
Well…I’d like to call it lessoning the gap.
This is a worksheet I’ve made up. I myself did this one:So here’s your homework to save and print (sorry I don’t know how to make it a printable yet ;)) for you yourself to work on.
I challenge you to do the work.
Because when we identify the results of a large gap we can then take it a step further and come up with ways to lesson the gap…like:
- Forgiving that spouse that was emotionally absent will set you free from resentment.
- Understanding how much the Father loves us will release us from not measuring up to our earthly Dad’s expectations.
- Letting go of the prodigal, as holding on could actually help the enemy is very freeing.
- Putting our expectations on what He can do to heal the relationship verses what we need to do is also freeing.
- Living as though it’s happened verses expecting it to makes a huge difference. As they He guides us into healing verses wallowing in all what we did wrong.
And ultimately you’ll see as you work through these things the fruit of the spirit will come up.
So be kind to yourself and take the time to do this homework.
Would love to hear your thoughts on this.
Would love to hear the outcome on your own homework.
Blessings upon you for the Fathers peace in every slice of reality!